Friday, January 10, 2014

You Talk To Much

At my old job, typically around this season I would not be busy; however, management made sure that they found you work to do. Needless to say, it is quite the opposite at my new job. Lately whenever I come in to work, I have been surfing the university's website trying to keep myself busy.

Yesterday my boss called out sick; she said that she was feeling under the weather, tired, and that she had a sore throat. In her absense, the coordinator for HR called suggestioning that we handle contacting the candidates that interviewed for this position. I informed the coordinator that we were already on the job; that I drafted a denial letter and that I was waiting on feedback from my boss. Well today while my boss was conversing with another program director, the HR coordinator called in regards to two additional matters. When my boss became available, I updated her on the messages from today, in addition to the message from yesterday. She laughed while I was delivering the message and then stated that I talked to much.

During multiple encounters with my boss; her verbal abuse towards me, she has always stated that I have to watch my non-verbals and that my non-verbals disclose my feelings. Realizing that my non-verbals were demonstrating that I was feeling attacked, she asked me to tell her exactly what the coordinator from HR said to me yesterday. I repeated verbatum. Noticing that I was not dismissing the matter, she shook her head and asked me why do I think she feels that I talk to much. I replied, why would you say such a thing to me and that her delivery was unprofessional, but I guess I should take the abuse as a grain of salt because it is making me perform better. She took a deep breath and apologized and said that things are transitioning here; we are being given multiple responsibilities that in the past, HR has handled. Moreover, she is stressed about several work matters that pertains to our department. I replied ok and that I accept her apology; I only said that because I wanted to move on, more so get away from her. Upon leaving her office, she gave me the green light on which denial letter to forward to HR for approval.

1 comment: